Temperatures are dropping, the days are getting shorter and winter is quickly encroaching upon us. It's time to slow down a little, put extra focus on self care, and nourish ourselves with warm, seasonal, healthful and delicious food. Am I right?! This recipe for Apple Pie Oats is so simple. If you already enjoy oats for breakfast, this will only add a few easy, and flavor packed steps to your oat making routine.
I have been using Empire Apples for this recipe lately. Empire apples are a cross between a McIntosh Apple varietal and a Red Delicious—they're perfectly tart and sweet.
This recipe serves 1, adjust the measurements according to your needs
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 medium sized Apple
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Almond Milk & Toppings to taste (here I used Unsweetened Almond Milk & Topped with Hemp Seeds and Cinnamon)
- Coarsely chop apples and place in a pot with water, vanilla and salt. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low, add oats and cinnamon. Cover and Simmer for roughly 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, transfer your oats to a bowl and add your favorite toppings (Ideas: cinnamon, hemp seeds, maple syrup, almond milk, raisins, brown sugar, chia seeds, coconut, granola....etc.)
- Brew a cup of coffee and Enjoy!
The best part about this recipe (and all of my favorite recipes) is that there is lots of room to experiment with it. Add different ingredients to your oats as they cook or simply change up the toppings.