It was really fun to develop this vegan and gluten free recipe because it follows the principles of traditional cookie baking with much healthier ingredients and no compromise on taste. I promise these are as delicious and as satisfying as they look... especially when they first come out of the oven.
I paired these double chocolate chip cookies with a glass of homemade hazelnut milk but they would also go very well with a cup of coffee or your afternoon cappuccino.
The Ultimate Double Chocolate Chip Cookies ( V + GF )
- 1 cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Meal Flour
- 1/4 cup Cacao Powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 flax "eggs" (2 Tbsp flax seed meal plus 6 Tbsp water)
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare 2 flax eggs in a small dish or cup by stirring together ground flaxseed meal with water.
- Mix together dry ingredients: flours, cacao powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together coconut oil and coconut palm sugar to form a grainy paste. Add flax "eggs" and vanilla to the mixture and continue to beat until all ingredients are combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet mixture until everything is combined - being careful not to over mix the batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough evenly onto a cookie sheet (I like to line my sheet with parchment paper)
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-14 mins.
- Allow the cookies cool on the sheet.
One of the best parts about vegan baking is you are free to taste the batter without any worry of salmonella from raw eggs. I highly recommend you taste this batter as it is a delicious (and highly addictive) precursor of what is to come.